3.29.2011

Oh Bacon, Bacon

I've been playing around with eel imagery for months now, knowing I would soon be collaborating with my sister on an eel poster series, incorporating my images and quotes about eels from Mi'kmaq Elders who have helped her in her thesis research on eels. We finally got down to work last weekend. These posters will be used as gifts, and as educational resources.


Here's Sana getting ready to pull the first print of our eel motif (actually, several eels) from a photopolymer plate.


Voila! The first eels.


Here I am wiping some extra ink off the boxcar base. That's a school of bacon swimming on the plate, one of several elements on our second poster.



I'm sure you can imagine that we worked up quite an appetite.


Good thing we had all those tasty prints around.


Delicious.


It's funny how the really crazy stuff never makes it into photos. Setting the Mi'kmaq texts in the type we had at hand was pretty challenging. There simply weren't enough q's or k's...but we managed. Not to mention the weird spacing... this typeface was not designed with words that start with "Wj" in mind.




However, by Sunday evening, although we had tired feet and sore hands, we also had a rack full of finished posters. Yeah, there was some giggling in there too, not to mention a totally new version of a well-known pop song. It went something like this:

"Oh bacon, bacon, how was I supposed to know..."



1 comment:

Oil painting for beginners said...

This is such a great site! I like the way you set this up! Great content! Thanks for sharing this!...Daniel